[Mailman-Developers] Trivial mm wording nit

Simone Piunno pioppo at ferrara.linux.it
Thu Sep 25 16:44:50 EDT 2003

On Thursday 25 September 2003 20:14, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     >> The attached message has been automatically discarded.
>     >> It should be
>     >> The attached message was automatically discarded.
>
>     Dan> I don't agree.  Why is the latter more correct?
>
> "was" connotes that an action happened in the past and is over and done
> with.  "has been" connotes that the action was started, but might not have
> completed.

IIRC this is exacly what we non-native-speakers are thaught when we study
english, but I've seen (note: have seen <-> *so far*) people use both forms
in any context.  Maybe the rule was lost (note: was <-> *definitely*) in
everyday speak, or maybe only brits still care.

HTH,
  Simone

--
Adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit -- Ovidio