[Mailman-Developers] VERPing: ouch!

Colin Palmer mailmandev at waikato.ac.nz
Tue Jul 13 23:09:38 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 01:28, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 2:32 PM +0200 2004-07-13, Fil wrote:
> >  the only change between non-verp and verp call to the SMTP server is to
> >  replace
> >          MAIL FROM:<sender at domain>
> >  by
> >          MAIL FROM:<sender at domain> XVERP=+=
> 	I don't know what this would do for performance with postfix
> (relative to having Mailman do the VERPing), but it would certainly
> be interesting to find out.
> 	Can you modify your code so as to generate this modified string,
> and see what happens?

There's already a patch that adds the required options to do this into
SMTPDirect.py

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=869638&group_id=103&atid=300103

I've got it on a production system here, and it's working great.  Though
the largest list it's got is just 11000 addresses, which isn't enough to
really stress it.

--
Colin Palmer <mailmandev at waikato.ac.nz>
University of Waikato