[Mailman-Developers] RELEASED Mailman 2.1.5

Ricardo ricardo at rixhq.nu
Tue May 18 02:28:05 EDT 2004

Barry Warsaw wrote:

>>But I upgraded mailman over the weekend (from 2.1.4 to 2.1.5) and only
>>today I noticed that moderated messages generates errors... I think it
>>has something to do with my version of python (2.1 from Debian Stable)
>>not having True/False booleans by default.
> Dang, dang, dang.  It's getting quite untenable to continue to support
> older Pythons, even in the Mailman 2.1 branch.  Given that Python 2.1
> and 2.2 are no longer being supported by the PSF, I've very tempted to
> require Python 2.3 for some upcoming patch version of Mailman 2.1.  How
> much hardship would that impose on folks?

Well, Debian stable doesn't go beyond python2.2, so that would mean
Debian users will either need to install python from source or find a
backport. It'll take a while before the new stable Debian is released. I
don't now the state of other distro's.
In my case installing from source would be an option, but I'm not a big
fan of it.
But what I was thinking, does it really have to be defined seperatedly
in every python file which uses it? I'd think there should be a way in
python to define it in just one place.

Ricardo.