[Mailman-Developers] MACE, Internet2, mailing lists etc
J C Lawrence
claw at kanga.nu
Mon Feb 7 21:00:57 CET 2005
Middleware-Enabled Mailing List Working Group (MACE-MLIST):
The I2 MACE-MLIST working group intends to address the following sets of issues:
- The WG will research the issues surrounding middleware-enablement of
mailing list services. Where possible, the WG will document how to
perform this integration and provide forums where people can learn and
help each other in addressing these integration issues within campus
contexts. Where appropriate, the WG will collaborate with open source
communities to consider needed modifications or other techniques for
achieving better integration with the enterprise/federation.
- The WG will consider and implement a survey of current university
mailing list users to identify favorite features, needed improvements,
and notable warts. We will map existing mailing list capabilities to a
matrix of available functionality.
- The WG will include persons who are actively working on integration
with the enterprise/federation using non-proprietary technology;
experiences will be shared regarding application designs best
supporting infrastructure. Working group members will test-drive
Outcomes / Deliverables
1. Survey results, identifying best features, absent features, and
desired improvements from users of mailing list software, along with a
mapping of this feature set to existing mailing list software.
2. A simple model of mailing list management software operations, with
middleware enablement points identified.
3. At least one open-source list software prototype (Sympa is a likely
candidate) using federated authN/Z.
4. Documentation describing methods for modifying open source list
software for use in federated environments.
J C Lawrence
---------(*) Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
claw at kanga.nu He lived as a devil, eh?
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/ Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.
More information about the Mailman-Developers