[Mailman-Developers] SMTPDirect timeout

Thien Vu thien.vu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 05:36:23 CET 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:30:25 -0500, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 12:18, Thien Vu wrote:
> > I chose to do this rather than SO_KEEPALIVE because the socket
> > interface isn't really exposed through the smtplib module.
>
> I'm not really crazy about adding a sigalarm handler here to fix this
> problem, especially because it really does appear to be caused by a bug
> in your smtp server (or load balancer -- but it makes no difference from
> Mailman's point of view).  OTOH, as you say, there's no (public)
> exposure of the underlying socket object in the SMTP object.  Even if
> there was, in newer Python's you'd have to watch out for SSLFakeSockets
> which don't expose the real underlying socket.
>
> I'm -0 on this patch.

I'm not super thrilled about this either, but it's something can
potentially cause mailman to fail and may want to be protected
against. I suppose generally your SMTPHOST is a host that you control
so if it is failing then you may have bigger problems to deal with.
The solution seemed to be the least impacting of other systems.

Thien