[Mailman-Developers] Virtual Domains Redux (w proposal)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 3 22:39:18 CET 2006

Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
> Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> writes:
>
>> 	The key people you've got to convince are Tokio and Mark --

Since I've been nominated as a key person to convince, here's one remark.

> The general idea is to have use the "foo", "foo at bar.com" and
> "foo at bla.org" strings as the internal list identifiers, and then
> successively solve or work around all the issues this change implies.

There are existing patches that are linked directly or indirectly from
FAQ 4.47. These all seem to use things like foo_bar.com and foo_bla.org
as the internal list identifier and they all seem to do an incomplete
job of "solve or work around all the issues this change implies".

Anyway, my intent is not to critique other solutions, but to say that I
would much prefer to see a directory inserted rather than a host_name
appended. This has performance advantages and might fit better with a
scheme of "hashed" intermediate directories to help sites with very
large numbers of lists. Once you add the infrastructure for one
intermediate directory, it may become simpler to add more intermediate
directories

I.e, for the initial cut, split the lists/<listname> structure into
lists/<hostname>/<listname> and similarly for archives/private and
archives/public.

Anyway, it's your project, but I think we'd all welcome a complete
solution to this problem.