[Mailman-Developers] Virtual Domains Redux (w proposal)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Mar 6 05:45:16 CET 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 14:57 -0500, Bob Puff wrote:
> > I.e, for the initial cut, split the lists/<listname> structure into
> > lists/<hostname>/<listname> and similarly for archives/private and
> > archives/public.
>
> Definite +1 on that!

Yep, that's definitely where my thinking was leading the last time I
worked on this.  FWIW, in Mailman 3 I've been thinking that the "list
id" will essentially be the full posting address, so that it's pretty
clear what "foo at dom1.org" and "foo at dom2.org" point to.

Let me make two other suggestion for those of you working on patches.
First, generate your patches against the Mailman trunk, for what will
eventually be Mailman 2.2.  There's no way we can add this stuff to
MM2.1, but Tokio did the heavy lifting a while back to whip the trunk
into shape, and all patches are being applied to both the trunk and the
2.1-maint branch.  At some point, they'll start to diverge but for now
they should be pretty similar (modulo some i18n stuff).

Also, now that SF provides Subversion support, I very strongly want to
migrate to it.  Among many other advantages, this will make it easier to
create experimental branches to work on things like this.