[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3 lmtp queue runners

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Jul 7 17:13:10 CEST 2008

--On 3 July 2008 12:59:59 +0100 William Mead <william.multimedia at gmail.com>
wrote:

> My name is William Mead, I'm a new Mailman developer and currently as
> an intern for Ian Eiloart at the university of Sussex.

We're up and running now, and working on the LMTP qrunner, which is based
on a subclass ("Channel") of the class smtpd.SMTPChannel - part of Python's
Library.

We're having to use name mangling to access some private attributes of
smtpd.SMTPChannel. It seems that virtually everything in SMTPChannel is
private, making it quite hard to override any of its methods.

It seems to me natural that an smtp/lmtp daemon will wish to access all the
information available to it from its s/lmtp session at any time, and
therefore the arguments to all the session commands should be available at
any time - up to an RSET.

For example, you really should not reject an email before RCPT TO:, in case
it's addressed to "postmaster" at a local domain. Exceptions might be made
for really hopeless syntactical errors, though.

So, I think these attributes should be public - so that we have easy access
to them at RCTP TO: and at DATA.

argument to EHLO/HELO
argument to MAIL FROM
number or rejected recipients