[Mailman-Developers] "Orignal" MySQL Member Adaptor - 1.71

Kyrian (list) kyrian-list at ore.org
Fri Sep 26 13:59:46 CEST 2008

All,

I finally managed to find some vestige of free time after midnight
(hardly the best time to be coding...) recently, and accordingly put out
a new version of my MySQL MemberAdaptor.

I have no time, and little motivation (no customers wanting to use it at
the present time) to test it, so I haven't, but you're welcome to try it
out.

It should according to the docs I found, provided I've applied them
correctly, fix the non-ASCII character encoding problems (I've relied on
the assertions about list members to cover that angle, and just checked
encoding on the 'user supplied' parameters to various function calls).
Now would be a good time for someone to send me a Python language
reference book ;-)

However since I've changed development environment since the last
version, it's possible that various things have gone wrong (certainly
the version numbering has gone mad between RCS and CVS/Eclipse), so
don't do it in a production environment.

I've put it here, as version 1.71, whatever that might actually mean:

http://www.orenet.co.uk/opensource/MailmanMysql/

Incidentally, since Fil seems to be taking all the credit for what I
started I think he should actually put a proper credit in there for me,
linking to my business website at http://www.orenet.co.uk/ rather than
the vague passing mentions that are in the docs/code of his version of
the system at the present time.

With luck I will be able to coax one of my customers into 'sponsoring'
further development of the MySQL Adaptor with proper integration into
Mailman in a sane way that is agreed by everyone instead of  (as seems
to be the case from what little of this list I have had time to read)
just going off on its own sweet way and reducing the likelyhood of
acceptance into the main code base of Mailman, but I am not sure how
that will go. If anyone else wants to sponsor my time to code this thing
better and further, then just email me.

Best of luck with it, whatever happens. More updates in whichever year I
manage to find spare/free time.

Yours Sincerely,

Kev Green.