[Mailman-Developers] monthly password reminder bounce reaction

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 3 06:50:31 CEST 2009

Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

>* Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>:
>
>> Removing the member from all lists is often the right thing, but
>> consider a member who is actually active on lists, but bounces
>> un-whitelisted mail and forgets to whitelist the site list. Then the
>> password reminder bounces and he is removed from all lists.
>
>Hm. I guess they'll have to live with that :)

OK, but FYI, here's perhaps a better reason direct from BounceRunner

 XXX We used to classify bounces to the site list as bounce events
 for every list, but this caused severe problems.  Here's the
 scenario: aperson at example.com is a member of 4 lists, and a list
 owner of the foo list.  example.com has an aggressive spam filter
 which rejects any message that is spam or contains spam as an
 attachment.  Now, a spambot sends a piece of spam to the foo list,
 but since that spambot is not a member, the list holds the message
 for approval, and sends a notification to aperson at example.com as
 list owner.  That notification contains a copy of the spam.  Now
 example.com rejects the message, causing a bounce to be sent to the
 site list's bounce address.  The bounce runner would then dutifully
 register a bounce for all 4 lists that aperson at example.com was a
 member of, and eventually that person would get disabled on all
 their lists.  So now we ignore site list bounces.  Ce La Vie for
 password reminder bounces.