[Mailman-Developers] A couple of functions it would be nice to have from the command line

Justin Long justinlong at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 18:15:58 CEST 2009

Thanks. Guess I should investigate some of these functions a little more
closely!
I appreciate the quick feedback from the community.

Another method for adding a single address that I received was
    echo 'johndoe at gmail.com' | add_members -r - listname

Wouldn't it be nice to simply add this as a function somehow to the existing
add_members routine? :)

Cordially,
Justin Long

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Adam McGreggor <adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 10:20:14AM -0500, Justin Long wrote:
> > I moderate a mailman installation at http://www.strategicnetwork.orgthat
> > has over 120,000 subscribers to various lists. Here are some functions
> that
> > would be nice:'
> > 1) the ability to add a new subscription to a given list without
> importing a
> > text file. Right now it seems to be impossible to add a single address to
> > single list in the same way you can remove an address. This would be
> useful
> > for adding a one-off email address change.
> >
> > adduser -l /list/thelist johndoe at gmail.com
>
> add_members -r- listname
> <foo at example.org>
> ^d
>
> > 2) the ability to change an email address en masse in all lists. At least
> > once or twice a month I have people who write in who want to have their
> > email address changed and they aren't technically minded enough to do
> this
> > on their own. As a customer service issue it would be nice to simply
> > accomodate them, e.g.
> >
> > changeuser johndoe at gmail.com johndoe at smith.com
>
> clone_member -r old at example.org new at example.org
>

> --
> ``Sitting in a church doesn't make you a Christian,
>  any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car.'' (spotted in
> Strasbourg)

Justin D. Long
Swarming: building high-impact decentralized networks to reach the unreached
Through: 1-day Swarm Schools, multiday Swarm Labs, yearlong Swarm Coaching
-------
Email justinlong at gmail.com
Skype nsmjustinlong OR call/SMS 757-559-1515
http://www.strategicnetwork.org - magazine, e-groups, knowledgebase
http://www.google.com/reader/shared/justinlong - shared annotated bloglinks
http://www.twitter.com/nsmjustinlong - daily activities, swarming notes
http://www.facebook.com/justindavidlong - Facebook page
http://www.accessofevil.org - if a demon could blog, it might look like this
-------
Consider sponsoring our ministries: one-time and monthly gifts appreciated!
Postal mail: RUN Ministries, PO Box 6543, Virginia Beach, VA 23456, USA
Contribute online: http://www.strategicnetwork.org/contribute
-------
Never retreat. Never surrender. Never cut a deal with a dragon.
No armor? Unclean life? Then do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,