[Mailman-Developers] [PATCH] for the notorious Sender header
Malte S. Stretz
mss at apache.org
Tue Jun 29 22:49:18 CEST 2010
every now and then the Sender header added by Mailman is discussed on this
list. Patches float through the net. The old FAQ is gone but for some
reason I remember that it was point 2.3. Guess I read it too often.
Because every now and then I get bitten by the header breaking somebody's
beloved Outlook. Well, breaking as in "Hey, I got this mail inline
forwarded from a list and don't have the original sender's address because
all Outlook adds is 'From: Full Name (on behalf of list-
owner at example.com'". Today I got pissed enough to actually tackle the
Instead of the old just-get-rid-of-it patches arriving here, I implemented
yet another option on the General page, just below the RFC 2369 options.
It defaults to On to keep backwards compatibility.
You can find the patch against the 2.1 codebase in this  branch. It
also applies with a little fuzz against 2.2.
The patch is quite simple but I'm not an expert of the codebase and
couldn't really test it because I currently don't have the time to set up
a local mailman. But the test suite doesn't throw any errors... well, it
does throw a bunch of errors and fails but did this already before I
applied my patch.
I guess it shouldn't be too hard to whip up a patch for 3.0 as well. I
just wanted to make sure (and start the old discussion again :) if it
should default to On or Off. If I interpret this  post from 2006 it
isn't really needed. (Hm, almost forgot: I took some of the comments
from James Ralston's patch from 2006 and added it to mine.)
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 836 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
More information about the Mailman-Developers