[Mailman-Developers] Help with mailman 3, attempting to build branch

Simon Fraser srf at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Oct 27 12:02:02 CEST 2010

Hi,

This is a newbie question, I realise, but I'm trying to get a branch of
mailman 3 working, so that I can add in some support for
LDAP/mailAlternateAddress lookups, which I know will be useful for our
site, and hopefully useful for others.

I've worked through the bzr install[0] and finally have my own separate
install of Python 2.7 with bzr2.3, just for mailman. However, 2.7
doesn't appear to work - should I be using Python 2.6 instead? Is there
a way to get it working with 2.7? [1]

Incidentally, are there plans to allow installs to a different location?
If you specify a prefix to install under, it checks for the presence of
the Python site-packages and fails if they're not present. Is it going
to be a requirement to install under the Python tree, or is this just
for development?

Thanks,
Simon.

[0] Debian/lenny has Python 2.5, which is too old. It does have bzr 2.0,
which is apparently recent enough, however each installation of Python
expects bzr to be in the same bin/ directory as the python binary, so
one must build bzr independantly for each Python install. This isn't
very intuitive for someone new to this tool.

[1] "python-2.7 setup.py build" produces:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 112, in <module>
    docs=['Sphinx', 'z3c.recipe.sphinxdoc'],
<... whole lot of lines about run_command...>
 File
"/$PYTHON_HOME/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools_bzr-2.0-py2.7.egg/setuptools_bzr/__init__.py", line 50, in bzrlib_get_children
    inv =
branch.repository.get_revision_inventory(branch.last_revision())
AttributeError: 'CHKInventoryRepository' object has no attribute
'get_revision_inventory'