[Mailman-Developers] Integrating HyperKitty with Mailman3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Apr 9 16:59:26 CEST 2012

On Apr 08, 2012, at 09:52 PM, David Jeske wrote:

>Are you expecting this direct python configuration import to actually "be"
>an archiver, or simply to be a configuration shim to get data to an
>archiver?

Whatever makes the most sense for that particular archiver.

The prototype archiver is so (purposely) dumb that it's implemented right in
process.

The Mail Archive shim just drops a copy of the message into the outgoing
queue, after it calculates the appropriate recipient address.  IOW, it sets
the message up to be forwarded to their service over SMTP.

The MHonArc shim just shells out to the appropriate command, piping the
message bytes to that command's stdin.

So I can turn this question around and ask, what's the best way to get
messages into ClearSilver?

>Python imports are not version-dependent (like C-shlibs are), so it seems
>dubious to expect an external archiver to necessarily be compatible with
>the same version of python that MM3 is. I know I've run into this problem
>in the past, especially because of how much the python MIME message classes
>changed over each python release (though hopefully they are more stable now)

Well, until email6 is released, Mailman 3 is ported to Python 3, and we can
all (finally) do email the right way in Python. :)

Cheers,