[Mailman-Developers] bugs on launchpad

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Mar 23 01:48:52 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

> If we add something like $archive_url to the decoration interpolation
> dictionary, what happens when we have multiple archivers that support

-1

> Do we add a configuration variable to select a "primary" archiver for this?

+1

If there's *no* archiver configuration variable, we don't know where to
point to anyway for Gmane-like archivers (yes, I know, catering to Gmane
will give Brad hives, but some people like Gmane).  The local archive, if it
exists, may seem TOOWTDI, but it might not be the preferred one even if
it's the only one configured in Mailman (although that seems a lot less
likely than the case where somebody just grandfathers an existing Gmane
subscription as the archive URL of choice).

> Do we allow something like $archive_url.prototype as an interpolation
> variable to select e.g. the 'prototype' archiver?

-1

Too complex.  If people want alternative archives, they can go to
the list FAQ or the Archived-At headers.  If we go this way, we'd
better have a *really* good comment and a pre-existing entry in
the FAQ to save Mark some time. :-)