[Mailman-Developers] Mailman DMARC Support (it's not what you think!)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Nov 8 11:33:36 CET 2013

Franck Martin writes:

 > As they say at IETF: Read the spec! :P

I have (probably three times carefully by now), and I still can't
understand why you think DMARC makes any sense at all for mailing
lists.  (I have no trouble at all understanding why Citibank thinks
it's great.  But that's a completely different use-case.)

It might help if you gave us the annotated version of what you do like
about it, instead of telling us that everything we've been doing for
20 years is wrong, and that we're crazy to object to the violation of
the most fundamental and ancient email RFC (not to mention violating
copyright law in every Berne Convention signatory) by corrupting the
authorship information of each post we process.

As Jim says, the only real hope mailing lists have is some kind of
digital signature protocol that allows the list to testify to having
performed its own authenticity checks before forwarding the post.

Steve