[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2014 : Proposal for the Mailman CLI project

Rajeev S rajeevs1992 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 09:57:49 CEST 2014

Hi Abhilash,

I did not quite get the user role part.A command line utility runs on the
server on which a software instance runs, just like a MySQL command line
utility.You will need physical access to the system or atleast the shell.I
believe you cannot expect every moderator of the list to have that kind of
access. From my point of view, the tool will be used by the list owner or
the server admin, just like the MySQL shell,which can be used only if you
have access to system shell.However, User/Role management can be imposed by
including a login for the shell,if necessary.Again,that's not possible for
the command tools.

And Yes.Users will be a part of this. I prefer to build the other two
first.Many methods that can come under User class is better suited under
the other two.For eg, for adding a moderator to the list, you can do, *list
--addmoderator user_id , *which should be under the List class*. *But the
same from user point of view, would  be a complicated and less intuitive
command, *user **user_id **--addmoderator **--list list_id *. So, after the
list and domain functions are built, It will be more clear what the user
class must do.

About optparse, I actually meant argparse,sorry about that :). And thanks
for the style guide tip.

*Regards,Rajeev S*
*Government Engineering College,Thrissur*
*http://rajeevs.tk <http://rajeevs.tk>*