[Mailman-Developers] Python 3

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Fri Dec 26 18:49:56 CET 2014

On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 04:38:08PM +0100, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> [...]  then I'll merge this to trunk and do a 3.0b5 release as a
> > Python 3-only application.  Mailman 3 will not be bilingual so Python 2
> > support will be dropped.
> >

> Wow. I am very surprised.
> So we went from "Python3 compatibility is not on the blocker list for
> Mailman 3.0" to "Mailman 3.0 will only work on Python 3".
> That's quite a change.
> This means I must now port HyperKitty and Kittystore to Python3, check that
> we don't use Py2-only libraries, etc.
> And mailman.client must be ported too, since it does import stuff from
> mailman for testing purposes. I think Postorious is safe, but that must be
> verified (I believe it imports the testing framework from mailman.client
> and thus must be ported too).

This also means that mailman 3 will pretty much only not work on server-oriented
distro (except probably Debian that likely ships a python 3 version, although
not being involved in Debian, I do not know for sure).
For the record, neither RHEL7 nor SL7 nor CentOS7 currently have a python3
stack...

> And I thought the 3.0 release was almost there. I must say this is rather
> discouraging.

Same for me.

Pierre