[Mailman-Developers] Same/different fake ids for every thread in an anonymous list

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Mar 4 15:24:19 CET 2015

Rashi Karanpuria writes:

 > I wish to seek your opinion regarding generating fake id in anonymous list.
 > There are two options to choose from
 >
 > 1) Different fake id for user per thread
 > 2) Same fake id for user regardless of thread
 >
 > Which do you think is better

I don't think those are the only choices.  In Mailman 3 there will be
at least two more: generate a new id for each post, and generate a
single id for all anonymous lists in the domain.  Plus a couple of
different dimensions: change ids if posting from different IPs, and
change IPs at intervals of time.  I'm not sure which of those (and
their combinations) make sense.

It would help in assessing "sensible" if you would say which ones you
prefer and why.

Finally, I suspect that different list owners will have different
preferences, as will different subscribers.  The same individuals
might even have different preferences depending on list.