[Mailman-Developers] Approach for Auto moderation system

Sat Mar 7 17:02:02 CET 2015

On 3/7/15 10:27 AM, Aanand Shekhar Roy wrote:
> Hi, Does the following approach for auto moderation sound fine or am I on
> the wrong path ?
>
> I think we neet to make changes in handler to_outgoing.py in method process.
> 1) We need to make two databases :
> Table1 Schema->  [ user_id | Thread name | list_id | count |
> last_msg_posted_at ]
> user_id, list_id, Thread name together act as primary key.
> It stores the count of number of posts of a user on a particular thread
> and the time corresponding to the last post.
> Regards
> Aanand

One concern here is that "Thread" is a fragile term in email. Unless you
are planning on some form of message body analysis to group messages
together, you are going to need to rely on the In-Reply-To and
References headers of the incoming email, which can have its
difficulties. If you are going to thread by something else, like the
subject, you may find people making minor changes in the subject to
bypass the moderation.

First, these headers are optional, and some mail agents may not generate
them, and more importantly, the subscriber can bypass this linking by
creating a reply as a "new message" thus bypassing the auto moderation.

Second, there is an unreliability in these headers as they will not
necessarily reference the "start" of the thread, but may only list
messages later in the thread, and to get your "Thread Name", you are
going to have to keep a full history (for some period back) of messages
and what thread you determined them to be in to figure out what thread
this message is in.

This means that any system that ties to limit the rate "in thread" must
also have a similar (but perhaps different value) limit on total
postings or creation of new threads.

Note this is VERY different then the problem with a message board, where
there is a much stronger definition of "Thread" and people may be much
less inclined to "break thread" to bypass limits.

--
Richard Damon