[Mailman-Developers] Javascript Client for Mailman

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Mar 26 04:38:45 CET 2015

Ana Badescu writes:

 > The Javascript client is actually a node.js module, and users will be able
 > to use it as part of a node.js application which just as Postorious, is
 > server-side.

Oops, that's right, the REST API normally isn't exposed except to
localhost.  My bad.

 > However, we can set up proper test cases for each API, in
 > Javascript as well. There is a large number of testing strategy
 > modules that offer everything to set up a testing environment,
 > stubs, mocks.

My point is that no, you can't.  If you don't have real use cases, you
will write tests that don't matter, and you will fail to cover things
that some real use case depends on.  Often enough, those things can be
really basic, and embarrass both your programmer's pride and your
schedule.  Both strategies, a priori (here's my API definition, make
sure it works) and use-case-based (here's my use case, make sure the
API can implement it) are necessary.