[Mailman-Developers] Please add multipart/signed to DEFAULT_PASS_MIME_TYPES

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Wed Nov 18 07:35:03 EST 2015

On 17/11/15 07:29, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 11/16/15 6:14 PM, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> By default, mailman tarballs (at least the 2.x ones) contain a Defaults.py file
>> with this configuration:
>>
>> DEFAULT_PASS_MIME_TYPES = ['multipart/mixed','multipart/alternative','text/plain']
>> Please, change this default by adding multipart/signed to the list of types allowed.
>

> There are other issues, but if you file a bug, I will change it to
> ['multipart', 'text/plain', 'application/pgp-signature'] or ???.

I was thinking in changing it to :

['multipart/mixed', 'multipart/alternative', 'multipart/signed', 'text/plain']

Instead, you suggest to just add [ 'multipart' ] to the list. I have 2 questions:
 - Will 'multipart' match all the 3 previous multipart/variations?
 - Is there any multipart/variation that we shouldn't allow by default?

If the answer is yes to the first question and no/notsure the second one,
then I think is a good idea to just add 'multipart'

Not sure regarding 'application/pgp-signature'. I guess we can include it also.

> There are other signature types that are 'binary' rather than plain
> ascii text, and I'm reluctant to include those. On my own site, I
> include 'message/rfc822' as well and could consider that.

Sounds like a good idea, probably is also worth including message/rfc822 in
the default list of accepted mime types.

Filed: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1517446

> and <https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman> for MM 3.

I wasn't able to find a Defaults.py on the Mailman3 tarballs.
Neither an alternative config file with this default.

Where are the defaults of Mailman 3 specified?
Has the default for DEFAULT_PASS_MIME_TYPES changed?

Regards