[Mailman-Developers] CAPTCHA support

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Mar 5 21:16:14 EST 2016

Aditya Divekar writes:

 > But with the new recaptcha, I would like to know if the stand is
 > the same.

ReCAPTCHA looks very good, though I haven't used it.  However, the
professional spammers are quite capable of hiring humans to do their
work, and even conceal it as being charitable work (digitizing old
books, for example).  On the other hand, unsophisticated spammers are
easily turned away with simple textchas (eg, the Python sites use
questions like "What is van Rossum's first name?" -- no, I didn't try
"Just" :-).

I conclude that spam is a disease and evolves resistance to antispam
technology at rates that resemble the ability of bacteria to evolve
resistance to antibiotics, and we just have to keep a careful watch on
every mail service we administer to see what the spammers are up to in
our neighborhoods.

Steve