[Mailman-Developers] Correcting the display name in the recipient address

Aditya Divekar adityadivekar03 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:06:37 EDT 2016

> A perhaps more convincing example would be an extension to anonymous
>> lists with personal reply-to.  This could be accomplished by creating
>> a mailbox at the list host, which would be associated with the user so
>> she can set options for it (eg, which address to forward to), but
>> should not have a display name associated with it, and certainly not
>> the user-level display name (which in organizational contexts --
>> including Python! -- is likely to be a real name).

My knowledge of anonymous mailing lists is a bit less. But from what I
understand, the address for the mailbox would not have a display name for
anonymity purposes whereas the user can have a display name, importing
which may cause anonymity concerns.
The case we handled was regarding the welcome message. The display name
property of the address was not actually changed. So if the user has not
supplied a display name for the address, the display name will remain empty
in that case. Only the welcome message will temporarily use the user
display name. Would that still be a problem in this case?

I might be wrong here if my interpretation of the example is wrong!

Aditya