[Mailman-Developers] Encrypted mailing lists: Tor project uses Schleuder

Jan Jancar johny at neuromancer.sk
Sun Apr 2 10:01:27 EDT 2017

Hi Mailman Developers.

Considering the recent debate on this list regarding the possible
uses and usefulness of an encrypted Mailman mailing list, I tried
to look for orgs / groups that already use or are looking for an
encrypted mailing list. To see what they use / what would they
like to use / what required features they need / what nice to haves
they might want.

My first idea was Tor Project's private mailing lists, they have a
few security / organization related lists that are private [1].

They noted my idea was similar to Schleuder, which they started
using just recently [2].

I had few other people message me, most use Schleuder [3] and one use of
custom patched Sympa installation [4]:

> We have a project based on Sympa to integrate PGP support, the backend
> is completed and we still have some frontend parts open. We started
> with the project some time ago out of frustration of schleuder and
> the lack of the userinterface. We choose Sympa because of the high
> performance mail processing, however, the frontend is not very nice

I think that an organization such as the Tor Project, with their high
security requirements, using encrypted mailing lists means that the interest
in encrypted mailing lists is well-founded.

[1]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/emailLists
[2]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-March/001047.html
     (and responses)
[3]: https://schleuder.nadir.org/