[Mailman-i18n] set charset in outgoing Mailman messages

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Mon Feb 13 14:17:04 CET 2006

Josh Zlatin-Amishav wrote:

> Can you elaborate? Right now all Mailman messages are sent using
> us-ascii. If iso-8859-8 (or iso-8859-8-i) are recognized charsets, and
> the DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'iw' how to I tell Mailman to use
> iso-8859-8-1 instead of us-ascii.

Have you read README-I18N.en in the distribution tar ball?  The section
entitled 'ADDING NEW TRANSLATIONS' should be followed before you
designate language in mm_cfg.py (not Defaults.py).

In short, you should have templates/iw/* and
messages/iw/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.(po|mo) files although the translation
may not be complete.  You may have to edit Makefile(.in) if you do this
in the source code directory.

Then you write

def _(s):
     return s
add_language('iw', _('Hebrew'), 'iso-8859-8-i')
del _
DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'iw'

in Mailman/mm_cfg.py

Note that Defaults.py is overwritten by upgrade and should not be edited
by site admin.

Make sure you are using mailman-2.1.7 and the bug fix patch installed.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1405790&group_id=103&atid=300103
'-i' encoding aliase is introduced from mailman-2.1.7.

http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/