[Mailman-Users] Mailman digests

David Osborne David.Osborne at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Aug 13 19:02:12 CEST 1999

I've set up Mailman 1.0 (with Exim as MTA, on Solaris 2.5) and have been
putting it through its paces with a view to replacing majordomo with it. It
looks good so far!

Here's an item for the wishlist and a couple of questions...

WISHLIST ITEM:
A list I run under majordomo appears only as a digest and I moderate the posts
to it; I can see how to replicate this in Mailman.
    However, one feature I use for my present digest doesn't seem to be
available in Mailman: generating the digest based not on size but on the age of
the oldest message waiting to go out. I currently use "digest_maxdays = 14" in
majordomo so that, assuming messages are posted and approved, the digest should
appear about every two weeks. Can this be added to Mailman?

QUESTION 1:
A digest generated by Mailman doesn't seem to be "burstable" like a majordomo
digest -- I use exmh (2.0.2) with MH (6.8.4) as my mailer and the "burst
digest" option complains the message isn't in digest format. There are a couple
of RFCs defining digest format (953, 1153) but I haven't checked to see which
of Majordomo or Mailman is more correct. I think MH's "burst" is sensitive to
the correct digest format but making Mailman digests burstable would be useful.

QUESTION 2:
Are digests archived or archivable (as digests) anywhere in pipermail, or only
the individual messages which make them up?

thanks in advance

David Osborne                         david.osborne at nottingham.ac.uk
Academic Computing Services     phone/voicemail: +44 (0)115 951 3397
The University of Nottingham                fax: +44 (0)115 951 3358
Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK          http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~cczdao/