[Mailman-Users] internal server error not covered in readme

Harald Meland Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no
Fri Jan 8 00:12:45 CET 1999

[deadgrrrl]

> Premature end of script headers: /home/mailman/cgi-bin/admin

This is getting to be a FAQ -- see, for instance,
<URL:http://www.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/1999-January/000249.html>.
for the solution.  And you really should take the time to _read_ the
INSTALL file :)

> also..
> when running perl ./admin from the /home/mailman/cgi-bin directory.. I get the following...
>
> 4:44pm root at servername [/home/mailman/cgi-bin]# perl ./admin
> Unrecognized character \177 at ./admin line 1.

Well, as cgi-bin/admin isn't a perl script (in fact there are _no_
perl scripts in Mailman) but a compiled C program, you probably would
be a tad better off running just

  $ /home/mailman/cgi-bin/admin

... but it most likely won't _do_ anything (except for exit()ing with
a non-zero value).

> however, since this looks like compiled perl,

Perl, as far as I know, isn't able to "compile" scripts permanently --
any perl script is "compiled" at invocation before the actual
execution of the script.  And "compiled" is nothing like _real_
compilation -- it is more reminiscent to the byte-compiling that exist
for e.g. Python and Emacs Lisp (I've heard).

--
Harald