[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.5 - genalias not working for postfix?

Christian Schoepplein chris at schoeppi.net
Sat Dec 11 23:49:23 CET 2004

On Sa, Dez 11, 2004 at 01:50:29 -0700, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> I have seen several threads related to the genalias command.  The idea
> is that with postfix, when you run genalias (and you have added the
> mailman alias files to your postfix main.cf), it will automatically
> update your mailman alias file.

Yes, and that works fine here since more than a year ;-).

> The problem for me on Fedora Core 3 is that when I set my
> MTA='Postfix' in the mm_cfg.py file and then run 'genalias', the alias
> file is supposed to be written to the data/aliases file.  On FC3, this
> is located in /var/lib/mailman/data/
>
> Here's an example
>
> # /usr/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases
> # ls  /var/lib/mailman/data
> last_mailman_version
> sitelist.cfg
>
> My guess is that there is some configuration parameter that is
> preventing this from working.  When I change remove the MTA='Postfix'
> in the mm_cfg.py file, aliases are generated.  I realize this is the
> workaround, but I would like to have mailman working automatically to
> maintain postfix aliases when we add or remove mailman lists.

Create the /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases file manualy and set the
right permissions. Then try the genaliases command again:

# touch /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
# chown user_that_your_webserver_runs_under:mailman aliases
# chmod 660 aliases

On my box with SUSE 8.1 the alias files in /var/lib/mailman/data look
like this:

# ls -al /var/lib/mailman/data/al*
-rw-rw----    1 wwwrun   mailman     56857 Dec 11 23:45 aliases
-rwxr-xr-x    1 wwwrun   mailman     90112 Dec 11 23:45 aliases.db

If the files were created correctly, you have to tell postfix about the
mailman alias file. From /etc/postfix/main.cf:

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,
             hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

Hth,
Schoepp