[Mailman-Users] Dealing with AOL rejects

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed Jun 2 00:56:45 CEST 2004

At 6:41 PM -0400 2004/06/01, Speedy Gonzalis wrote:

>  As you probably know, AOL (in it's infinite wisdom) has given it's users
>  the ability to black list anyone they want.

	Yup.

>                                               Unfortunately, when they do
>  and a black listed individual posts to a list that is set for replies to
>  go to the list, the resulting bounce (example below) is unrecognized by
>  Mailman.

	Sadly, this is true.  AOL wrote their own custom MTA (against my
vehement objections), and they generate their own bounces in their
own format.  There's not much we can do about that except deal with
it.

>  What I'm hoping for is that someone has written, or I can (with
>  assistance) write something that will recognize these rejects and track
>  them against the offending AOL member just as any other hard bounce.

	I don't think that's going to be very likely.  The problem is the
lack of information provided in the bounce.  You can tell that you've
got a bounce, but that's about it.  If you go to full personalization
with VERP, you've got a better shot of figuring out which user
actually resulted in the bounce and then unsubscribing them (or
whatever), but that's about the best you can hope for.

	That is, unless you can show us additional information that you
usually see in your bounces that could be put to use?

	If you need further help, Carl Hutzler <cdhutzler at aol.com> is the
guy to talk to.