[Mailman-Users] Users want to unsubscribe, but cannot find their e-mail address in the list

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Thu Sep 16 17:25:51 CEST 2004

On 9/16/2004 6:26, "Jim Tittsler" <jwt at onjapan.net> wrote:

> As the system administrator, if your mail server has been
> configured to support the VERP format, you could set
> VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1
> and the users will be able to see the delivery address in the
> message headers.

Jim is an optimist, I fear.  Many users have no idea that an incoming
message has any headers other than the few their mail client shows them.
And the majority mail clients (Lookout and Lookout Express) make seeing the
complete headers remarkably difficult.

Further, the Return-Path: header to contain the Envelope sender address is
non-standard (although widespread), so you can't necessarily point to that
as what to look at (the for clause of the proper Received: header is a
likely alternative).

Oh, and SRS may have done interesting things to the Envelope sender anyhow,
giving you other obscure headers to talk about.  (Insert favorite spammer
curse here.)

All that said, VERP will help a lot in solving the problem.  It just isn't
quite a magic bullet.

  --John