[Mailman-Users] 403 Forbidden Error when creating list

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Sat Aug 6 18:38:38 CEST 2005

In a flurry of recycled electrons, Scott Loga wrote:
> I was able to find a solution in the mailing list.  It took a quite a
> bit of digging, but I realized I had to reconfigure my apache httpd.conf
> file.  I found two versions of this solution and since I am new to
> FreeBSD,Apache and mailman I am not sure which one is correct or safe? -
> although the both versions do work.

FWIW, on openbsd w/ mm 2.1.5 and apache2, I'm using:

    ScriptAlias /mailman/  "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"
    <Directory "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/">
        AllowOverride None
        Options None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

    Alias /pipermail/ "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/"
    <Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/">
        AllowOverride None
        Options FollowSymLinks
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

and it works.

IIRC, the FolllowSymLinks was important, but I can't recall why. I think
it's to get to the private archives.

z!