[Mailman-Users] mailman post mail to list error

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Apr 18 00:45:59 CEST 2007

Calvin Muller wrote:

>When using Ubuntu and apt-get, it seems like there is no such directory as a
>pytonlib. I don't know if it's called something else, but how do I install
>the email module for python, your help is greatly appreciated.

I can't help you with Ubuntu/Debian packaging issues per se. You should
really contact Ubuntu/Debian and see if they have a fix/workaround/bug
report for this issue, and if not, report it there.

A normal Mailman installation from source contains a pythonlib/
directory (note pythonlib, not pytonlib). This in turn contains the
email package and possibly japanese and korean codecs packages.

If your package contains none of this, you can try the following:

In your Mailman installation, there are bin/ and cron/ directories. In
each of these there is a file paths.py. The two paths.py files should
be the same. Further, each file should contain near the beginning a
line

prefix = '/path/to/mailman'

It should also contain near the middle

sys.path.insert(0, os.path.join(prefix, 'pythonlib'))

If it contains this line, that's good. If not, add it to both files
following the line

sys.path.insert(0, prefix)

Then if there is no pythonlib directory in the 'prefix' directory,
create it with group = Mailman's group and mode 2775. Then create the
directory pythonlib/email, also with group = Mailman's group and mode
2775.

Then (assuming Mailman 2.1.9) go to
<http://mailman.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mailman/tags/Release_2_1_9/misc/email-2.5.8.tar.gz?view=log>
and click "Links to HEAD:(download)" to download the package.

If your Mailman isn't 2.1.9, navigate to 'tags' in the above URL, find
your release and get its email package.

Then gunzip and extract the package and copy all the *.py files from
the email-2.5.8/email directory you extracted to the pythonlib/email
directory you created above.

Finally, restart mailman with

bin/mailmanctl restart