[Mailman-Users] Low level smtp error: Server not connected

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 1 02:16:49 CEST 2007

Leonard Jacobs wrote:

>I am trying to run Mailman 2.1.9 on a CentOS 4 server with postfix 2.4.1.  I had Mailman 2.1.5 running on a slower system and wanted to offload some apps to this newer server but am having problems. check_perms has no errors. Creating lists works fine and when postings are submitted the messages are delivered to the list admins re posting verifications.
>
>But only a few of the messages are getting delivered. logs/smtp-failure shows many of this type of error:
>"delivery to someone at gmail.com failed with code -1: (104, 'Connection reset by peer')" I am also seeing many " Low level smtp error: Server not connected, msgid" errors. I did try all the suggested fixes in the FAQ including adding the line to get error output in the logs/error file. And this file is showing successful delivery, such as
>"May 26 16:33:44 2007 qrunner(20744): reply:   '250 2.1.5 Ok\r\n'
>May 26 16:33:44 2007 qrunner(20744): reply: retcode (250); Msg: 2.1.5 Ok
>May 26 16:33:44 2007 qrunner(20744): send:   'rcpt TO:<somebody at surewest.net>\r\n""
>but the majority of the messages are simply stuck in the qfiles/out and qfile/rety directory.

Leonard,

I don't know where you are with this. I've read the rest of the thread,
but I don't know if you've discovered anything or not.

Here's what I can tell you.

>From the Mailman/Python/smtplib point of view, Postfix is dropping the
connection unexpectedly.

You only show a small debug snippet above, but somewhere in the debug
output there should be a point where something goes wrong in the SMTP
transaction sequence. This should give you a clue.

I'm guessing, since individual notices work, that postfix doesn't like
transactions with a lot of recipients. Try setting

SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 1

in mm_cfg.py and restarting mailman. If that works, you can then look
at why Postfix doesn't like more than x recipients in a transaction.