[Mailman-Users] surely can install mailman without root?

jidanni at jidanni.org jidanni at jidanni.org
Thu Jan 17 22:12:56 CET 2008

Does one really need root privileges to install mailman?

Surely I could install mailman on my web shared hosting plan
without root. (As the version of mailman Dreamhost provides gives the
administrator only access to the web interface, and not the shell
scripts -- drives one nuts trying to debug.)

I'll just use --with-username=$USER --with-groupname=`id -g` ...
--with-cgi-ext=.cgi etc. and then use my .procmailrc to redirect what
comes to the extra mailboxes my hosting plan allows me to make...

And for sending mail I can use /usr/sbin/sendmail -i -f ...

Is the above neglecting a fundamental principle?

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1867285&group_id=103&atid=100103