[Mailman-Users] Encrypted mailing lists

Alster alster at indymedia.org
Sun Mar 30 20:39:04 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have been repeatedly tempted to sum up options of setting up encrypted
mailing lists, with or without using GNU Mailman.

I had previously summed up what I found at
http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/listwork/2006-February/0203-uh.html

This is about two years ago, and a couple things have changed since, so
here's a little update, and a few additions.

Of the options listed on my previous summary, the following appear to be
no longer mantained:

B. NAH6 Secure List (Mailman bug #646989)
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=646989&group_id=103&atid=300103
The NAH6 company appears to be no longer existing and the patch semms to
be no longer mantained.

C. Ben Laurie's 'PGP Support for Mailman' (Mailman bug #645297)
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=645297&group_id=103&atid=300103

D. RedIRIS Encrypted mail list aliases with GnuPG
The informational page has since moved to
http://www.rediris.es/pgp/app/pgplist/ but this script appears to be no
longer maintained.

As such, only these options listed in my previous summary remain:

* mailman-ssls, a Mailman-Patch which has recently been updated for
  Mailman 2.1.9 compatibility:
  http://non-gnu.uvt.nl/mailman-ssls/

* firma, a standalone encrypted mailinglist server (written in bash):
  http://codecoop.org/projects/firma/

Additionally, there are these options which had not been part of the
last overview:

* MMReencrypt, another Mailman patch
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mmreencrypt/
no longer maintained

* Schleuder, a standalone 'crypto mailinglist'
http://codecoop.org/projects/schleuder/
still maintained (according to their versioning system), but last
release dates back to 2006

Apart from these, there surely must be other options, some standalone,
some extending specific MTA's functionality, both of which I didn't
examine. I believe there is at least one such solution for courier, and
at least one for qmail. There may also be some for postfix.

Not being aware of other scripts, I would appreciate your notice on
openly licensed implementations and extensions providing the
functionality of encrypted mailing lists.

Alster
- --
GPG key
http://keys2.indymedia.org/cgi-bin/lookup?op=get&search=05059C17
Fingerprint    1B8B 128F 8435 541C B3A5 1B7E CF5A 9D55 0505 9C17
All other      https://docs.indymedia.org/view/Main/AlsteR