[Mailman-Users] when does logs/post get updated?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Nov 28 19:35:11 CET 2008

Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

>I have some more data on this...
>
>I enabled the debug in SMTPDirect.py, and it shows that there really
>aren't any problems. It shows that slowly a message is being sent out.

So your real issue is why is it proceeding so slowly.

>I followed the performance tuning suggestions that had the MAX_RCPTS in
>Defaults.py at an optimal value from 2-5, so I set it to 3.

Is the MTA doing DNS verification on incoming mail from Mailman? Are
you having some DNS issue?

>But does that mean that mailman is going to simply get stuck on one
>single message distribution and won't process any others until this one
>is finished?

Yes.

>I used to have these lists on another server and over there I had the
>MAX_RCPTS set to a high number, but my mail server is set to reject
>above 25 rcpts anyway so the end result that at max it would handle 25
>rcpts. I remember that whenever a message arrived for the list (again
>20,000 members) on the other server, the load average on the server
>would go pretty high as it processed the list.
>
>But now on this new server I never see the load avg go up. Is this
>because of the MAX_RCPTS setting? What else would keep mailman from
>efficiently handling the messages?

Slow response from the MTA. Even with SMTP_MAX_RCPTS set to 3, you
should be delivering on the order of 100 or more recipients per
second. What do you see in Mailman's smtp log for processing tomes for
messages. How do the latest ones compare to those from days or a week
ago?

>The OutgoingRunner is just sitting there slowly distributing the message
>and never seems to get to the next one.

It will when it finishes this one.