[Mailman-Users] Problem Migrating Mailman to New Server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 23 01:54:09 CEST 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>However, I am now getting permission denied errors on the database folders.
>
>IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/mailman/database/2008-October-date.lock.dap002.2271.2'
>
>I ran check_perms and all is OK. This has always been about ownership/permissions but I question why check_perms doesn't/won't fix it. What is it supposed to be?

Prior to 2.1.10, check_perms had a bug and didn't check the owner and
group permissions on the archives/private directory itself.

Permissions should be 2771 or maybe 2770 (drwxrws--x or drwxrws---). If
archives/private is not o+x, it needs to be owned by the web server
for public archive URLs to work.

Subordinate directories should be 2775 (drwxrwsr-x) and subordinate
files 0664 (-rw-rw-r--) except for the archives/private/*/database/
directory and subordinate files which should not have 'other'
permissions.

>FWIW, the owner:group for /usr/lib/mailman and /var/lib/mailman trees is mailman:mail.
>
>I should also note that the command (it was just a help command to req) did work but I did not want to try actually mailing something to a list until this is all fixed.

It is not clear to my why a help command to the -request address would
try to lock the archive. Is (was) 2271 the pid of CommandRunner?