[Mailman-Users] massive unsubscribe

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Sep 19 03:51:57 CEST 2008

Tecru Info writes:

 > We are having a problem where half the email list is getting
 > unsubscribed. Has this happened to anyone? The people did not
 > unsubscribe themselves.

Things to check:

(1) You have been (mis)identified as a spammer, and ISPs are bouncing
    your mail.  This causes the mail you send to those ISPs (any user
    at such an ISP) to bounce, and the users get unsubscribed.

(2) You have a lot of users at an ISP like AOL, which assume that
    you're a spammer until you take steps to prove otherwise.  (But
    these ISPs tend to throw away mail that they don't like rather
    than bounce it, so the symptom would be not getting posts rather
    than getting unsubscribed.)

There's more information about both of these issues, how to check and
how to resolve, in the FAQ.