[Mailman-Users] Easiest way to move a list to a new domain?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Aug 17 05:16:59 CEST 2009

J.A. Terranson wrote:

>	We have a list that is likely to be changing domains, but not list
>names or IP, in the very near future.  Could you point me to a resource
>that show the best way to handle this?

If the domain is already known to Mailman, just run fix_url. If not put
an add_virtualhost() in mm_cfg.py and then run fix_url. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/gIA9> and perhaps other FAQs  turned up by a
search for fix_url.

There will still be an issue in that links to the listinfo page from
the list's archive pages will have the old domain. The ones in the
overall table of contents and the current periodic indices will be
fixed automatically with the first archived post following the change,
but the older indices will not. You can edit them with a script or by
hand if there aren't too many, or you can rebuild the archive with
"bin/arch --wipe"