[Mailman-Users] Patch for use of Postfix VERP support

Jesper Dybdal jd-mailman-users at dybdal.dk
Sat Jan 3 01:06:26 CET 2009

I've just installed Mailman version 2.1.11.

I was surprised to find that the standard distribution had no support
for the Postfix VERP feature, which can create VERP return paths much
more efficiently than when Mailman does it itself.

I did find a patch for the FreeBSD port of an earlier Mailman version
(at
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2007-October/128777.html),
and changed it to match the standard 2.1.11 distribution.

It seems to work fine.

If anybody should be interested, I've placed the modified patch,
directly usable for 2.1.11, at
http://www.dybdal.dk/mailman-2.1.11-postfix-verp.patch

Note that even with the patch, this feature is disabled by default; it
is turned on by setting VERP_STYLE = 'Postfix'.  It also needs to be
allowed explicitly in the Postfix configuration (e.g.,
"smtpd_authorized_verp_clients=127.0.0.0/8").

I have tested the patch only with the feature turned on.
--
Jesper Dybdal, Denmark.
http://www.dybdal.dk (in Danish).