[Mailman-Users] zeusmail.org and answerpot.com linked

Russell Clemings rclemings at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 05:33:21 CEST 2010

An FYI for anyone interested ...

Yesterday I was notified of a site, http://answerpot.com, that was
archiving two of our lists (without permission, which we require for
republication).

I couldn't find anything fishy in the logs, so I turned on
personalization. But the site was stripping out email addresses from
the message bodies (including those I was inserting into the footers).
So I ended up putting user_optionsurl in the footers, waited for
someone to post, then checked the answerpot.com site for the message
and finally identified the culprit.

It turned out to be a zeusmail.org address. That domain was discussed
here a few months ago after some people noticed a large number of
subscriptions/attempts from there. I've unsubscribed everything from
that domain and added it to the banned list. I haven't heard of any
legitimate subscribers from that domain -- yet -- so I'm hoping that
will take care of the problem.

They had actually subscribed late last year, but apparently started
archiving only in April.

rac