[Mailman-Users] nginx + fcgiwrap, web interface problems

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Sep 15 20:18:06 CEST 2010

Jon Evans wrote:

>I mistyped that last time, doh.  It is
>http://domain.com/mailman/admin/list-name.  I got the CentOS 5 package
>(Mailman 2.1.11) which defaults to an Apache config of /cgi-bin/mailman/ and
>I changed it to just be /mailman/ (in terms of the URL, not the folder
>structure).

OK. That's all fine.

>Your script output:
>http://pastebin.com/waqQC8Lr
>
>Looks like:
>PATH_TRANSLATED: /usr/lib/cgi-bin/aa/bb/cc
>is wrong, shouldn't it be something like
>/usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/aa/bb/cc?

No, I think that's correct, but it doesn't matter to Mailman. The
script itself got executed, so the server must be going to the right
place to find it.

The issue I see is that there is no PATH_INFO in the environment at
all. This is strange. Your config has in part

root /usr/lib/cgi-bin;
fastcgi_split_path_info (^/mailman/[^/]*)(.*)$;
fastcgi_param PATH_INFO $fastcgi_path_info;
fastcgi_param PATH_TRANSLATED $document_root$fastcgi_path_info;

so $document_root is /usr/lib/cgi-bin and $fastcgi_path_info is if I
understand correctly, whatever matches the second group in
fastcgi_split_path_info which in the case of a GET for
/mailman/printenv/aa/bb/cc is /aa/bb/cc. This is reflected in
PATH_TRANSLATED: /usr/lib/cgi-bin/aa/bb/cc, and should result in
PATH_INFO: /aa/bb/cc

However, for some reason, there is no PATH_INFO at all in the
enviroment passed to printenv. This lack explains your issue. I can't
explain why it is missing given your config, but it needs to be there
for the Mailman web interface to work.