[Mailman-Users] List domain - was: Mailman list sends but doesn'treceive mail.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 9 00:46:49 CEST 2011

JRC Groups

>The message I shared was sent by Mailman prior to the changes I made to the
>mm_cfg.py file. Is it possible that the reason a.main.private appeared on
>the e-mail was because the configuration file was edited by Apple's Server
>Admin and displayed it instead of domain.com as it should ?
>
>In other words, if the configuration file was as follows:
>
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'a.main.private'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'a.main.private'
>VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['domain.com']
>VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off
>
>Would this generate the change in the e-mail sent by Mailman so that it
>would display the server name instead of the domain name ?
>
>> JRC Groups wrote:
>>>
>>> I have received some mail from Mailman that looks as follows:
>>>
>>> From: mailman-owner at a.main.private (sent by mailman-bounces at domain.com)
>>> Date: ...
>>> To: ...

Probably, but you need to look at the full raw headers of the message
rather than what's displayed as From: by some MUA.

with VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW Off, there are potentially 3 domains
involved. These are the DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST domain, the host_name
attribute of the 'mailman' list and the 'host_name' attribute of the
individual lists.

The list(s) in the body of the password reminder are identified as
list at domain. This domain is the host_name attribute of the list. This
only appears in the body, not in the headers of the reminder.

Additionally, the reminder is From: mailman-owner at domain where domain
is DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST, but the envelope sender (Return-Path: header)
and the Sender: and Errors-To: headers are all mailman-bounces at domain
where domain is the host_name attribute of the 'mailman' list.