[Mailman-Users] Setting bounce_notify_owner_on_disable not working

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 20 16:58:18 CEST 2012

Willy Janssen wrote:

>One user of a small mailing list was set to "no mail", reason: "B --
>Delivery was disabled by the system due to excessive bouncing from the
>member's address". Ok, that's fine. The problem is that I, the list
>administrator, got no notification although
>"bounce_notify_owner_on_disable" is set.
>
>Any explanation?

Is mail to LISTNAME-owner delivered?

Check Mailman's bounce log to find when the disable occurred. Then
check Mailman's smtp log at the same timestamp to see if there is a
pair of entries similar to

Jun 17 12:53:46 2012 (8882)
<mailman.200.1339962825.8880.listname at example.com> smtp to listname
for 1 recips, completed in 0.024 seconds

Jun 17 12:53:51 2012 (8882)
<mailman.200.1339962825.8880.listname at example.com> smtp to listname
for N recips, completed in 0.025 seconds

Note the mailman generated message id. the first is the message to
listname-owner and the second is the resend to the N owners and
moderators.

Also check the MTA logs.