[portland] Fwd: Last Chance to Submit a OSCON Proposal

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 20:23:13 CET 2009

Yeah fair enough.

I thought maybe you had some ax to grind with O'Reilly, whereas I
think it's high time they left us to try our own hand, no reason they
can't return or have multiple OSCONs in parallel someday, like Cirque
du Soleil does (Vegas, Cancun...  I have no idea...).

Anyway, truth is, I'm on the fence, but not because I don't want to be
there.  I'd like to be there, one way or another.  Always love OSCON,
can't get enough of R0ml, Ravencroft, Randall, Martelli... didn't see
Guido last time.

>From a presenter's point of view, it's always nice if you can fine
tune and rework a talk a few times, not make everything ride on the
one occasion, so I'm tempted to submit what I'm doing for Pycon 2009
(with Steve Holden) to both OS Bridge and OSCON with a "similar but
different" caveat -- because I know it'll morph in response to ongoing
feedback (already has a few times -- shed its skin so to speak).

I appreciate your prompting us with a reminder, as I've been known to
space out deadlines like this.

Speaking of Chicago, I'm planning to talk up Portland as a really
happening place when it comes to using open source in the schools,
always pointing back to my Winterhaven example (Python for 8th
graders), and the stuff I do with Saturday Academy (ongoing).  But
then LEP High uses Edubuntu c/o Open Sourcery right?  Lincoln has a
Linux Lab.  I just don't know all there is to know.  Riverdale's LTSP
is old hat... (joke).  http://www.k12ltsp.org/rhs_casestudy.html

In that regard, I was in a meeting with Lew Frederick yesterday, for
12 years with PPS, sampling my "all schools are charter schools"
rhetoric (the only difference is "when" i.e. "charter" just means you
have a public mandate of some kind, which all of them do or once did).

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/01/wanderers-2008128.html

Hey, I enjoyed hanging with Javascript Admirers at Cubespace last
night, very well attended, here's my write-up:

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2009/01/admiring-javascript.html

Kirby