[portland] django coders?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 08:43:31 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Jeff Rush<jeff at taupro.com> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

> The education sector is weak because of the (relatively) few programmers
> except for Kirby in positions to influence it.  The XO was a big hope
> but it really isn't setting the education world on fire - more of a slow
> simmer sadly.

Thanks for the reality check and acknowledgment Jeff.

Very true our education sector is weak relative to what I'd like to
see: an agile computer language to chew on when learning high school
mathematics (yum!), not black boxy calculators with those tiny screens
and no polyhedra!

I talked to at Scott Gray at Pycon about O'Reilly's plans to use
Mathematica in Eclipse to certify, see Google is involved in teacher
certification as well (something going in Colorado).

Whether the Python community rises to this challenge remains to be
seen. Software Association of Oregon is talking "digital math track",
thinks this Litvins text is a step in the right direction, though no
one is saying it's the final word:

http://www.skylit.com/mathandpython.html

I've just published my slides for the OS Bridge conference starting
tomorrow, in some ways a recap of what I've been up to, helping to
give a sense of my direction / momentum:

http://coffeeshopsnet.blogspot.com/2009/06/os-bridge-conference.html
(links to PDF, won't make as much sense without the narrative, but
gives the flavor at least).

I look forward to seeing some of you there.

Given I'm so focused on the education sector, I'll revert to edu-sig
as my principal archive for brainstorming / marketing along those
lines.  We welcome new joiners.  I might post to Advocacy too though,
thanks for the reminder about it.

More later,

Kirby