[Pycon2005-attendees] The Database Divide

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at orbtech.com
Fri Mar 25 14:13:16 CET 2005

yuba at conwaycorp.net wrote:
> John,
>
> Great post, thank-you.  I was a little taken back by the attitudes shown (on
> both sides) of the relational v object database issue.  Could it be that we, as
> Python programmers, get a little nervous when "there's more than one way to do
> it" <wink>.  Your post was refreshing,pointing out pros and cons to each method
> and I can only hope attitudes like yours will win the day.

Hmm.  I think maybe some folks are sensing more attitude than any of us
speakers really intend to be projecting.  Or we as speakers are
projecting more attitude than we realize.  Or a little of both.

In any case, maybe we could have an Open Space today with any and all
database folks represented.  As far as the three database speakers go,
Ed Leafe and I had dinner together last night with some other database
guys (it was me against 4 Foxpro gurus <grin>) and David Binger would
have joined us as well if I had been able to invite him before he left
for the night.

So I feel safe saying that we don't have any problems getting along.  I
think it's just the nature of the beast - object databases are quite
different from relational databases and there is often a great deal of
misunderstanding in both camps.  I'd love to get together and chat if
anyone else would.  :-)

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech    http://www.orbtech.com