[Pydotorg-redesign] Graphic redesign

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Fri Jul 18 09:56:12 EDT 2003

> From: Steve Holden

<snip>

> Yes, it's the "figuring out what to redirect to" that I was referrring
> to as the significant task. There's nothing worse than following a link
> and getting a 404, particularly if it's expressed in the terms Microsoft
> use.
>
> ["Hi, we realise you really want this piece of information but we
> couldn't be arsed leaving it where it was, or even leaving something
> behind to help you, so you are completely stuffed and you'll just have
> to start searching all over again. Have a nice day!"].
>
> grumpi-ly y'rs  - steve

Speaking of 404s. I get them every now and then on python.org so that
reminds me to ask whether anyone is looking at the error logs and then going
back and fixing the pages on python.org with bad links? I realize this is a
webmaster at python.org question, but since many of you admins are on this
list... Perhaps that should be one of the redesign goals? Perhaps having a
script auto-generate a list of 404 pages and the referer page?

ka