[pypy-dev] PyPQ: a dbapi 2 PostgreSQL driver working with pypy

Igor Katson igor.katson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 16:51:58 CEST 2011

Hi, Dan,
before answering I'll describe the situation a bit.

there was a question today, if I know about pg8000 or psycopg2ct.

As for pg8000, pure python should be slower than ctypes, anyway, so I
don't think these two should be compared.

But at the time of making pypq, I did not know about psycopg2ct. A
couple of weeks ago there was no mention of it on the pypy psycopg2
compatibility page, and yesterday (when I decided to make pypq) I did
not find it while googling the topic. Though if I did know that, I
wouldn't write my own implementation.

Luckily, it took me only one day of coding, and therefore there are two
key differences:
- pypq is a lot simpler. You can look at the code of both to see that
- pypq does not try to be psycopg2, only a couple of functions from
there for django compatibility

As soon as there is another project of this kind, I'm not sure if I'll
go on with this. For production usage, pypq needs at least a complete
test coverage, so DO NOT USE it in production, it is very alpha.

About your questions, Dan:

- this is not a replacement for psycopg2, as psycopg2ct is, but instead
a dbapi2-compliant driver, which looks almost the same as psycopg2,
cause they share the API. Making it a replacement was not a concern

- i did not profile the code, just tested the results on my sites
visually, and on cpython 2.7, I got roughly the same speeds as with
psycopg2. It should be pretty fast, but if there is a bottleneck, the
code is pretty simple to explore and fix. What I can think of now is
processing very large result sets might be slow, cause for every cell
there is a type cast going on, especially for complex types like
datetime.timedelta. See datatypes.py for details.

But still, the fact, that a working postgres driver for python could be
written in a day, is awesome :) So as long as the code is simple, it
could be an alternative.

Regards,
Igor.